Thursday, February 4, 2010

Real Malaysians. Aren't We All?

Malaysian. A Real Malaysian.

Those are the words that I find has no real definition. What makes a person a Malaysian? His skin color? Her clothes? The way they speak? Or the people we hangout with? I thought you are a Malaysian if you’re born in Malaysia. A certificate and an identity card officially show us where we belong. What people said otherwise was irrelevant.

I was taught to know that there were only boys, girls, men and women. Old and young. There were no Malays, no Chinese, no Indians even no Eurasians. That’s all that mattered. So where has all that gone? Are we in denial or just ignorant? I would add more but rather keep it for my “special moments”.

I may not pray, go to church, a mosque or even to a temple but the one thing I know is we should accept people for who they are. Not because of who they pray to or where their ancestors came from. Accepting is one and tolerating is another. I thought they teach those values in religious class? If they did, where did we miss it? Or at least why did we forget it? I live my life by respecting everyone and anyone no matter what background they have. I mean sure I curse and swear and have a bad temper but if there’s one thing I know is the feeling of being treated like you don’t belong. Trust me on this. I’m an expert in this situation.

For as long as I can remember, the adults and friends in my life teach me what is respect. The respect I know is given without a reason, but to many others, respect is given to those who deserve it. Who does? Who doesn’t? Don’t we all? A person with no respect and has no respect is not a person at all.

Maybe the teachings that our parents taught and teach us are different but what gives anyone the right to put down a person or discriminate a person? I thought the only who can judge us at the end of the day was GOD? Not you, not me and not anyone else. Why do we play GOD when merely nothing next to him?

The whole race and religion issue has always been a talk in is country. We say it’s time to change or as some say, a new change. But my dears’, asking is easier said then doing. Some things have to change in order for anything to start.

It’s like using a pond as a metaphor. The pond is the people of the country. Throw a pebble into it and see the ripples arise A pebble is the start and ripples of the change. I know it goes back after long period but like any change, we have to make sure it stays. So the end of racism and discrimination among religions has to stop and change somewhere.

A big start has to happen in order for a big change.

pri.

No comments:

Post a Comment