Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Room 2

It was a love-hate relationship with Room 2. Mostly hate. There were no acceptable toilets near the room, it smelled horrendously like moss and you had to climb three flights of narrow stairs to get to it. I had always wished we would get other rooms allocated for our classes but we almost always ended up in Room 2. Once we even returned drenched from a sudden downpour only to find out the room was flooded due to a hole in a pipe.

Generally speaking, I didn’t mind the three flights of stairs most of the time; it was fun watching classmates trying to survive the climb and particularly when they were carrying heavy laptops with them. And please, everyone knows offering to help would just take the fun out of everything.

The mossy smell was overwhelming at times but bearable during others, sometimes it’d be drowned out altogether by the smell of food brought back from the coffee shop down the street. But the fact of the matter is that room 2 was small and at times a little cramped. The air felt so stagnant in that room and the mossy smell only made it worse – the actual moss growing near the pipe certainly didn’t help either.

The day room 2 got flooded was interesting, it had been sunny skies one minute and a sudden heavy downpour the next. By the time I dragged my drenched self back to class with Alvina in tow (equally drenched), there was already a miniature river forming in the room springing from a hole in the pipe against the wall. Needless to say we were evacuated.

I will not go into further detail about the conditions of the toilets available near Room 2 as I believe Jared already has (refer below to the unfortunately titled My Shitting Sanctuary).

However, no matter how disgruntled I may be with room 2, it did hold many memories for me. My first ever college presentation was held in that room, I completed LoccoRocco there (hey it’s cute, I don’t care what anyone says!) and I somehow remember watching Cinderella there as well. Those experiences are all pretty blah standing on their own, what made them unique was the people I shared them with.

Rachelle 

No comments:

Post a Comment