Thursday, July 8, 2010

So you really think you are NORMAL?
by Filzah Sobri DMC10

Part II

Hello readers! It’s me again! I am back for this week’s part two of “So you really think you are normal?”. Don’t we all just love to know and talk about quirks? Well, I do! Last week I touched on a phobia of touching the ground. I have to say, after knowing about it, I became more observant and critical about the people around me. I keep on staring at people’s feet. I just think I’m acting very silly. So, I need to write something new!

As I have promised in my last write-up, for this week, we are going to dig in to the issue of ‘I-can’t-remember-people’s-names’! Ever experience this? I have to admit, it is pretty hard for me as well. However, most of us do not know that it is included in the ‘phobia’ category when a person is having constant trouble not just remembering names, but the faces too! This is unusual. Let’s see what we it is all about and what we can do about it.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and some people are just bad at recalling people’s names. “People who are having this phobia often described as uncaring and not self-absorbed,” as quoted by Joel Kramer, PsyD, a neuropsychologist in San Fransisco. Why is that so? Try to imagine if a person does not recognise her own neighbour at the market. What more her name! That sounds absurd, but this happens. It is called prosopagnosia, face blindness. This condition also affects in which not recognizing family members, friends, or even themselves. This is really serious. Folks like this I reckon will not enjoy movie that much as they will find it hard to keep track of the plot since they can’t remember the characters.

Believe it or not, prosopagnosia is not just another habit. It can be caused by brain damage from a stroke or head trauma, or degenerative diseases. If a person experiencing this is getting worse, Kramer suggests a doctor’s visit, just in case. Otherwise, this may simply be a charming quirk (though maybe not so charming to your neighbour).

Hope this helps. Please don’t forget me people. Make sure you keep reading!

Next week: It's all about pulling hairs...

Filzah Sobri is very keen in writing about quirks in life. Having interest in observing, analyzing and getting to know weird things, she also believes good writings can change the world. So don't miss her next week on 'This & That' section!

No comments:

Post a Comment