Thursday, March 18, 2010

Escalators Are Evil When You're Blind

My experience as a blind person. Well if I were blind I wouldn’t be able to type this in the first place. The first thing I realize is that being blind is a lot of work. You really do need to rely on your senses a lot more, which means NO MORE daydreaming/stoning. Sense of hearing was really important to me, and thanks to my deaf friend Kaze who continuously shouted orders to “turn left after 20 steps”, “walk faster”, “hold onto the wall” and “walk at 2 o’ clock”, I was nervous at first but relaxed after realizing I was in good hands. Wait. No, there was that one time he asked me to put up my right hand to hold onto something, and I pitifully banged my hand HARD against a cement wall.

My mute partner Inessa was also helpful. Holding onto my shoulders and steering me whenever I was in the wrong way, I really appreciated that as it really helped.

Being blind is a challenge. Going onto escalators is a bloody nightmare. Crossing a road and finding out there’s a bump or a step going down as another problem. Holding onto walls for support was fine, until you reach out your hand and realize that you nearly just walked into a corner. Hearing was important in trying to figure out where I was. Sense of smell also helped, cause the moment I (clumsily) opened the doors, I immediately knew that we were in Starbucks thanks to the rich aroma of coffee.

As a blind person for 20 minutes, I think I have devised an effective way to climb stairs. One, hold onto the rail. Two, kick out your foot to feel for the step. Three, once felt, lift leg up. Repeat at 2 again.


- Nicole Yeong, DMC12

No comments:

Post a Comment