Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not all good things last forever

We always take things for granted. What should happen if one day you were involved in an accident and you should lose your pair of eyes? You would only be able to “see” the world using your remaining senses. How would you know when to cross the road? How would you go down the stairs without knowing how many steps there are?

In the world of the blind, they can only rely on their remaining senses which are hearing, smelling and sometimes taste. Being blind for just 20 minutes changed my whole view on blind people. Before I shut my eyes to the world, I thought that being blind would be fun as I wouldn’t need to look at homework and can get away with wearing anything I want. Obviously I was very wrong. Being blind means darkness is all you are able to see. A world without colours shapes or light is a very scary one. You wouldn’t be able to know if the person is trustable. The only way to find out is to feel everything with your heart. Thankfully, I had a very cooperative and helpful partner named Crystal to guide me through these 20 minutes of darkness. Now, I admire the blind people as it takes lots of courage to stand up as well as faith to survive in this world.

Debra, DMC 13

No comments:

Post a Comment