Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life of a BLIND & a DEAF

Blind :

To have Charlene, by my side is the best thing a blind girl could wish for. Though she may be deaf and therefore we do not even bother talking at all, I know she is there for me, guiding me. Showing me the wonders of Jaya One and the beauty of the world through my fingers. It’s very exciting when you have a friend whom you can trust but when you’re alone. It’s very scary. Charlene left me unattended for a moment and I was afraid. We went down the stair and sat on the steps where we were joined with Debra and Crystal, who were another pair of blind and deaf. We were led to a fountain where I first heard splashes of water and then smelled the smell of the chlorine of the water. Soon, I was splashed with it. When we are nearing steps, Charlene will stomp her feet on the ground as a warning to me. This is because she can’t hear therefore she doesn’t speak as well but the silence was peaceful. She brought me around sitting on chairs and touching tables as well as railings. We also had a trip in the elevator which wasn’t much of movement. Children’s laughter filled the air and I can feel the happiness surrounding me. The weather is not great at all. It was hot for a moment then windy and soon we’re in an air-coned room. She guided me safely back to class.

Deaf :

Being deaf was not much of a joy. Although I had a blind mate who trusted me fully, I was a little frustrated when I couldn’t hear a thing. I see children running around, smiling and laughing but the world was still a gloom to me. I see people talking, having conservation and I wished I can have that too. Charlene, my blind mate was constantly asking me questions. All I can do was to look at her and just try to make out what she’s saying by reading her lips. But most of the time she spoke too fast. I so need more lip reading practices.



Virginie Laurency DMC13

No comments:

Post a Comment