Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Prevention is better than cure!

“Prevention is better than cure.” Thank god that there is a cure for meningitis. There are different types of meningitis across the world. This bacterial infection attacks the covering of the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms include fever, sore throat, stiff neck, muscle and joint pain, headache, and possibly seizures. This article caught my eye because of my interest in medicine (I blame House for this!) it is said that children are routinely vaccine against meningitis but adults are not. Why? I think adults need to make the extra effort and get this vaccination, especially if they are travelers. I think it is important that most people get this vaccination as it can save your life. I have seen cases on House where patients are diagnosed with meningitis and it looks pretty scary. Maybe it is fictional, but the symptoms, such as seizures, can be pretty fatal. I think it is good that Linda Glennie, the head of research at the Meningitis Research Foundation, is encouraging further research on the vaccine so that it will be available to all. Remember, when it comes to health, prevention is better than cure!

P.S. I'm sorry for the excessive references to House :)

Article : click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment