Thursday, March 18, 2010

Falling with No Sound.

Silence...

Have you ever blown something of the palm of your hand? You could feel it and touch it, but when you blow it off, you can’t hear it hit the floor. That’s how it felt being mute. It was a mixed experience that I least expected to learn. It was both a calming experience and also difficult for me to accept. I could see and hear everything and everyone but I couldn’t voice out anything and people couldn’t hear me. It was both a blessing and a curse to me.

It made realize how easy I had it in life. I could see, hear and talk but being mute, well the feeling was indescribable. I got to see another side of life. I could be seen and hear everything in my surroundings but I couldn’t be heard. I watched my blind friends hit walls, nearly miss their step when walking up or down stairs. I had to try to signal so many things to my deaf friends. It was even harder when they didn’t understand sign language.

While I walked and guided Mei, I realized that when you are silenced, you aren’t of any help to anyone. It’s like everything you do to get attention or something across was either ignored or just misinterpreted. That was the curse part.

The blessing part is the fact that you become more grateful and aware to your surrounding. You tend to be more alert and it taught me to be a bit more independent.

Guess everything has its ups and down nothing in between.


Priyanka, DMC13

No comments:

Post a Comment