Thursday, March 18, 2010

Laughing, silently

Today, I left the classroom at 10 o’clock, mute, accompanied by a deaf and a blind.
Kaze was deaf, drowning out his hearing by plugging in his earphones, music blaring out in his ears.
Nicole was blind; my red handkerchief tied around her eyes, obscuring her vision and putting her in a very vulnerable position.
I was mute; for someone who’s very used to talking, I felt awfully out of place, unable to communicate to anyone.

It was mostly Kaze and I bringing Nicole around to experience the whole of Jaya One in a new blind light. Nicole wasn’t an unpleasant blind; she was actually quite complacent and horribly entertaining. Kaze to me wasn’t entirely deaf, he could still communicate verbally; he did in much higher volume though.

Seeing as I couldn’t communicate to Nicole, my sign language was quite useless so I helped her out by holding onto her shoulders and steering her where she needed to go. Kaze was being a great help, shouting (literally) orders to “walk 20 steps” or “there’s a step in front of you, careful!”.

Kaze and I worked together to plan our course: letting Nicole go up a flight of stairs, push a trolley, take an elevator and ride up and down an escalator.
We also crossed a road, where I waved frantically at Kaze to alert him of a car, but at least the car was kind enough to stop and wait for us to cross. Nicole almost walked into a fountain, but she knew better. Starbucks’s crew smiled and watched us as we passed through.

Over all, it was a great adventure.
I should try being mute more often, I’m sure a lot of people would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment